Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Unity and Centrality around Christ.

Along my walk with Jesus thru Word of life, many churches, Swbts and hearing many speakers I have came to some conclusions.

1.) Many Christians divide over little details that aren't central.

2.)Alot of Sermons that are preached don't even have the right focus.

So what does Jesus Say about what should be central?:
"John 17:20-23 "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me."
It's clear that Jesus prays for unity around himself and God the father. That we would be one as God is one. Man that is a deep truth to think about because How many of us truly have relationships with other believers that are "one". What does that even look like? Something I see is that the Calvinist and non-Calvinists fight over side issues when they both believe the Gospel, that God came in human form and died for sinful man to be set free from sin and death and set free unto Him. And the kjv only guys fight with everyone who doesn't have one and the Pentecostals fight with the Conservatives or the baptist with the non-baptists. But all this time Jesus prayed for our unity. So what does that look like in our lives? What hills are worth dieing on?

Another Thing is What should are Sermons be centered around? Well i believe Jesus answers that one too:
" John 5:38-40 and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."

This passage is unique in that Jesus is talking about the Witnesses that Testify to who he is. His audience is the disciples and the Pharisees. This direct quote was to the Pharisees who were the religious elite. They memorize mostly all of their bibles and studied it daily. Yet Jesus is saying they know nothing about it. Wow that's insane.
What does that say about us? I mean for me even before when I preached He wasn't always the Center. And a lot of preaching I have noticed tends to be around commands which are disconnected from the God who said them. Or we water down the truth and miss his word all together. But the truth is that our preaching should always have Christ at the Center and his Gospel as the main point. Do we read his word and miss Him? Or do we truly see Christ on the pages?


1 comment:

  1. Preach it brother, Preach it. Let us be Christ-Focused for the Glory of God.

    ReplyDelete